The Island Republic of Mark is a gargantuan, socially progressive nation, notable for its museums and concert halls, punitive income tax rates, and stringent health and safety legislation. The hard-nosed, democratic population of 23.612 billion Markians enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
The large, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Healthcare, Education, and Environment. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Mark City. The average income tax rate is 70.0%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The strong Markian economy, worth a remarkable 1,234 trillion Punts a year, is driven almost entirely by government activity. The industrial sector is mostly comprised of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, although the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 52,292 Punts, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Mark successfully hosted the 10000 Islands Olympics, the government seizes all major gold finds, hundreds of thousands of convicts work as slaves in Mark's many privately-owned prisons, and employers may fire workers without giving any reason. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Mark's national animal is the Mighty Dog, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Mark's influence in 10000 Islands rose from "Hatchling" to "Newcomer".
- : Mark's influence in 10000 Islands rose from "Unproven" to "Hatchling".
- : Mark's influence in 10000 Islands rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Mark resigned from the World Assembly.
- : Mark relocated from The South Pacific to 10000 Islands.
- : Mark relocated from The Commune to The South Pacific.
- : Mark was endorsed by The Peacebringer of Western New England.
- : Mark was endorsed by The Commonwealth of Tanzoria.
- : Mark's influence in The Commune rose from "Apprentice" to "Vassal".
- : Mark was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most World Assembly Endorsements.