|Leader||Duke Athanase Aaryn de Retz|
The Duchy of Retz is a colossal, cultured nation, ruled by Duke Athanase Aaryn de Retz with an even hand, and renowned for its frequent executions, avant-garde cinema, and compulsory military service. The hard-nosed, devout population of 7.049 billion Retzians are highly moralistic and fiercely conservative, in the sense that they tend to believe most things should be outlawed. People who have good jobs and work quietly at them are lauded; others are viewed with suspicion.
The medium-sized, moralistic government juggles the competing demands of Spirituality, Defense, and Education. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Pornic. The average income tax rate is 29.0%, but much higher for the wealthy.
The strong Retzian economy, worth 483 trillion Retzian Pounds a year, is broadly diversified and led by the Automobile Manufacturing industry, with major contributions from Information Technology, Trout Farming, and Book Publishing. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is 68,614 Retzian Pounds, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 2.8 times as much as the poorest.
A five-year-old and a convicted terrorist can sit alongside one another in jury service, the last thing Retzian soldiers hear before charging into battle is a preacher trying to convert them, drills and shovels have been banned as the government cracks down on any means of fracking, and you need a signed affidavit from a registered psychiatrist to claim that you have crazy low prices. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, despite the fact that it is difficult to make it through a day without breaking one of the country's many laws. Retz's national animal is the Stoat, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its national religion is Roman Catholicism.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Retz was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Safest.
- : Retz's influence in The Pacific rose from "Newcomer" to "Nipper".
- : Retz's influence in The Pacific rose from "Hatchling" to "Newcomer".
- : Retz's influence in The Pacific rose from "Unproven" to "Hatchling".
- : Retz's influence in The Pacific rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Retz relocated from Alayyid to The Pacific.
- : Retz's influence in Alayyid rose from "Handshaker" to "Duckspeaker".
- : Retz's influence in Alayyid rose from "Truckler" to "Handshaker".
- : Retz's influence in Alayyid rose from "Vassal" to "Truckler".
- : Retz's influence in Alayyid rose from "Apprentice" to "Vassal".