Historical Resolution #231
A resolution to repeal previously passed legislation.
Historical Resolution #6 “End slavery” (Category: Civil Rights; Strength: Significant) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.
The United Nations,
Remaining fully opposed to slavery,
Hence disgusted that existing law on the subject, UN Resolution #6 "End Slavery", fails to live up its title and does not in fact end slavery,
Concerned that Resolution #6 makes no provision for:
- the prohibition of ownership of persons,
- the freeing of those previously enslaved,
- legal protection, economic aid and social rehabilitation for freed slaves,
- the prohibition of forced labour,
- the suppression of the slave trade,
Concluding that Resolution #6 is a woefully inadequate document that, given its prevention of any more meaningful legislation on the subject, is actively damaging to the international antislavery cause,
Stressing the importance of passing comprehensive antislavery resolutions immediately following passage of this repeal, which will:
- replace the prohibition of the sale of persons,
- fully address the above unaddressed issues,
- promote international cooperation to end the slave trade,
Repeals Resolution #6.