|Leader||the Council of 1000|
The Democratic City State of Nieuw Gent is a massive, safe nation, ruled by the Council of 1000 with an even hand, and remarkable for its lack of airports, ban on automobiles, and punitive income tax rates. The compassionate, cheerful population of 2.037 billion Nieuwe Gentenaars enjoy extensive civil freedoms, particularly in social issues, while business tends to be more regulated.
The enormous government juggles the competing demands of Education, Administration, and Healthcare. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Nieuw Gent. The average income tax rate is 90.3%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The powerhouse Ne nieuwe gentenaar economy, worth 193 trillion Euros a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. The industrial sector, which is quite specialized, is mostly made up of the Information Technology industry, with significant contributions from Tourism and Beef-Based Agriculture. Average income is 95,147 Euros, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
The nation is known as the cheapskates of Europe, citizens know never to accept cookies from strangers, fair-weather fans talk during plays while die-hard theatre enthusiasts stay at home, and the seventh son of a seventh son is fated to be a millionaire. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Nieuw Gent's national animal is the Crowned Lion, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Nieuw Gent was reclassified from "Inoffensive Centrist Democracy" to "Left-Leaning College State".
- : Following new legislation in Nieuw Gent, the seventh son of a seventh son is fated to be a millionaire.
- : Following new legislation in Nieuw Gent, fair-weather fans talk during plays while die-hard theatre enthusiasts stay at home.
- : Following new legislation in Nieuw Gent, citizens know never to accept cookies from strangers.
- : Following new legislation in Nieuw Gent, the nation is known as the cheapskates of Europe.
- : Following new legislation in Nieuw Gent, poaching has been on the rise after animals from the nation's zoos were released into the wild.
- : Nieuw Gent was endorsed by The Commonwealth of Stromia.
- : Following new legislation in Nieuw Gent, fake designer clothes are shredded and burnt while many in the world don't have a shirt on their back.
- : Following new legislation in Nieuw Gent, in a baffling press conference the Council of 1000 proudly dismantled a broken door.
- : Following new legislation in Nieuw Gent, passengers often cause a stink on public transport.
Endorsements Received: 79 » Kalifer and Baska, Northern German Federation, Republic of Satherland, Elisabethshagen, Irminsulia, Yahlia, Saint Domingo, The Poland-Lithuania Commonwealth, Walfo, Regnum Italiae, Thracia Republic, Jim the Baptist, Dark Matter, St Scarlett, Pilipinas and Malaya, The New Nordic Union, Neuchateau, Imperium Anglorum, Sicilian Imperial-Capitalist Empire, The Wretched of this Earth, GanymedEuropa, The Mongol Plain, Chioganah, Outer Sparta, Lord Sapre, Slavorussia, TF1 TASK FORCE 1, Feria-Alkaline, Alsted, An Clar, Super Happy Land, Dauershire, Bohomo, Supcotia, Nardin, The Champions League, Prussian-Union, Invernessia, Someseni, Savinecross, Sloburg, Leranditale, North of Americas, Lyallpur, Destyntine, Umeria, Nuweland, Abject Ludicrosity, The Seven Provinces, Shaor, and 29 others.Ausvelt, Ansington, Lieges, Socialist Balkans, Chronus, The Kingdom of Denmark, Jahass, Mons Graupius, Sienkahn, The Reunited Yugoslavs, Enway, Meropis, Rivierenland, Crestphalia, The New Mexican Confederation, Greater Icelandia, Trixeland, Kanokla, NorthPortugal, Apabeossie, Kyrica, Uzbek Khan, Eski, Valtrona, Eco-Paris Reformation, Mynox, Continental Social Democrats, Othenhiem, and Stromia.