The People's Republic of Botanisma is a huge, genial nation, remarkable for its state-planned economy, absence of drug laws, and devotion to social welfare. The compassionate, democratic, devout population of 356 million Botanismen are free to do what they want with their own bodies, and vote for whomever they like in elections; if they go into business, however, they are regulated to within an inch of their lives.
The large, liberal, socially-minded, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Welfare, Spirituality, and Education. The average income tax rate is 39.4%, but much higher for the wealthy.
The sizeable but sluggish Botanisman economy, worth 8.79 trillion marks a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a slick, highly efficient, quite specialized black market in Trout Farming, Basket Weaving, Beef-Based Agriculture, and Furniture Restoration. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 24,698 marks, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Solving crossword puzzles requires fluency in at least five languages, the 'kind of scrawny' 500 meter hurdle is a popular event, women who walk into the ladies' changing room are accused of being Peeping Toms, and passionate nomination battles are often as intense as general elections. Crime is almost non-existent. Botanisma's national animal is the Lion, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Botanisma's influence in Thalassia rose from "Hatchling" to "Squire".
- : Botanisma relocated from Balder to Thalassia.
- : Following new legislation in Botanisma, passionate nomination battles are often as intense as general elections.
- : Botanisma applied to join the World Assembly.
- : Botanisma altered its national flag.
- : Botanisma was refounded in Balder.
- : Botanisma ceased to exist in Thalassia.
- : Botanisma was endorsed by The Anti-Racist Nation of Monkelandd.
- : Botanisma was endorsed by The Federation of Prairiland.
- : Botanisma was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Compassionate Citizens.